Start a new topic

Withdrawal Fee?

Predictit charges a 5% withdrawal fee, presumably because they incur Admin fees to "Cut-a-check".

That's an exorbitant fee by any measure...and further...who the hell issues checks anymore.  This is a game stopper!

10 people like this idea

Agreed with the points above. A percentage fee is not justifiable for a service that has a flat cost. 

If PredictIt wants to keep calling themselves a "non-profit", this should be changed.

1 person likes this

I find the 5% withdrawal fee too high.  However, my guess is that this is a safety valve to avoid the problem that Intrade had when, after the 2008 election, everybody withdrew their money creating a huge liquidity crisis.   While Intrade had other problems, at least with this fee in place PredictIt will easily survive a massive withdrawal moment, and be able to pay their staff since they will be rolling in cash at the time.

Saw this site on Stossel and wanted to give it a try but will wait for the fees to come down. 

Not sure what happened to my comment, but could be awaiting moderation. For you to charge a percentage basis just because your credit card costs are also percentage based is flawed. It means that people who lose all their shares don't pay into the fee structure at all, while good players pay multiple of how many times they win. A person who wins 6x as much as me pays 6 times more fees even though I was the one feeding the system with my extra deposits. That's the wrong kind of incentive. 

The total 15% spread is also too much for average bettors to overcome. I'm cashing out now that I'm ahead, but now that I understand my further wins are going to be taxed at 15% rather than 10%, and add another 1% for all the games you start that you take so very long to close and pay out, I'm done here. 

1 person likes this
I understand there are real costs to maintaining this site. I do not trade here as an investment. I Trade here to test my political intuition. The transaction fees distort the odds and need to be abolished. I would happily pay fees for both deposit and withdrawal and let the house keep the float if we could get rid of the transaction fees. I'd also be willing to pay a fee to have a validating of my ROI as a trader here. I think in the long run the goal should be to create sufficient volume the house can be profitable simply by taking a share of the float on deposits here and all fees can be eliminated.

I'm going to carry an unpopular opinion here, but I don't think the fees are that bad. (Full disclosure: I work for a payments company so I deal with fee structures on a regular basis.) The fees are a bit higher than strictly necessary to cover costs and make a profit, but PI is paying us (the consumers) money for a sophisticated guessing game. They set up a structure where we get to say, "Hey, I think this thing will happen", put down some cash, and then potentially gain 10,000% of what we put down. That's basically unheard of anywhere else. Likely they have to take a cut when people make a profit because they're taxed on it; same with payouts. Plus, they need to pay their people.

At any rate, it's not that much money, all told, and we do very minimal work for lots of potential gain. The fee structure seems reasonable for the benefits.

That said, I'm not against lower fees! :P

I think the 5% is a good choice for the withdrawal fee.  It's your contribution for the system to organize the betting.

I don't mind the 10% fee in principle, but I fear it is distorting the betting markets, because hedged bets become worth less through it.  As an example: There are two bets, A and B, either Yes or No. I believe "if A happens, then B happens" and buy B-Yes shares but also A-No shares to hedge my bet, in case A results in No and B becomes very unlikely (in my view).  IF A happens and I'm right that B happens, too, I get my profit from B, but have to pay the full 10% on the profit, without subtracting my hedge A first.

Hedged bets should be promoted to get a more efficient market and better information from the market, and they shouldn't be punished by calculating the 10% profit on the winning part of the bet (B), without allowing to subtract the loosing part of the hedge.

Login to post a comment